What do you need to complete a sole trader registration?
Here is a list of the requirements and information needed to complete a sole trader registration with HMRC
- Your Government gateway account (if you decide to register directly with HMRC)
- Your full name
- Your date of birth
- Your previous last name if you have ever changed it and the date of name change
- Your National Insurance Number (NINO)
- Your full address including your postcode
- Your phone number and email address
- You will also be asked whether you are a UK resident and/or whether you have moved to the UK in the last 12 months
- The date you will start, or have started, working for yourself
- What type of work you will be doing
- What name you are using for your business (if any)
- The full address of your business including your postcode
- The business telephone number
Not what you’re looking for?
You can learn more about the process of setting up a business as a sole trader in our guide to registering as a sole trader.